Message sent from:

Outside Agencies

At Paddock School, we have forged very effective links in our multi-agency approach to working to meet the needs of pupils with special educational, health and disability needs.  These agencies are accessed, always with parental consent, via a specific agency referral form, through telephone referral or via the Aspire Hub.  Additionallly, if a family would benefit from a multi-agency approach to their needs, a Single Assessment can be completed.

Some of the agencies we regularly work with are:-

Educational Psychologists

Our school is supported by an Educational Psychologist, currently Janet Wilkie, who works closely with the SENCo.  Following consent and referral, the Educational Psychologist may assess and provide advice for individual pupils.  This may include issues that affect their learning, concentration, attention and/or social communication and interaction.  Working alongside parents and school staff they provide support with suggestions for actions based on individual need.  The Educational Psychologist can play an important role in contributing advice for a ' My Support Plan', or in helping gather evidence to support an application for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan, should the need arise.

ChEWS - Childrens Emotional Wellbeing Service

ChEWS is a tier 2 Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service for children and young people in KIrklees.  The service provides short term targeted interventions to children and young people who are aged 5 to 19 and whose emotional needs are impacting on their day to day lives.

For further information please click here.


CAMHS - Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services 

This tier 3 service can now be accessed following referral from any professional working with children, parent or carer.  ASK CAMHS is the first point of contact for young people experiencing non-urgent emotional or mental health issues.  It also provides support to parents, teachers, health professionals and others who have concerns about a child or young person's emotional wellbeing or mental health needs.  Young people who need any non-emergency mental health service can now access what they need by calling 01924 492183.   The phone line  operates on weekdays from 9am-8pm (5pm on Friday): and Saturday from 9.30am -1.30pm.  It is aimed at people:

  • who are aged between 5-18
  • who are registered with a Kirklees GP
  • whose emotions are impacting on their daily functioning

For further information click here


Hearing Impaired Service/Visually Impaired Service

These services can be called upon to support children in educational settings who have hearing / visual impairments respectively.  With consent, schools can refer to the service for support and advice.

Occupational Therapy

This service helps support children with disabilities to independently carry out everyday tasks by offering individual treatment programmes.  They may suggest changes to the person's environment, whether that be at home or school and may introduce the use of equipment which will help with some activities.  With consent, schools can refer to the service for help and advice.

Speech and Language Service (S.A.L.T.)

Almost everything we do involves speech, language or communication.  Everyday tasks, learning, sorting out problems, having a conversation, getting a job, making friends and having fun all rely on our ability to communicate.  Being able to say what you want to say and understand what other people are saying is the most important skill we need in life.  Some children and young people have difficulty communicating with others and have speech, language and communication needs - often referred to as 'SLCN.'  If it is felt that your child would benefit from their help, school, with your consent, will  refer to the service.  Some children are also referred via a GP or a School Nurse.

Other agencies can be accessed according to need.


Services Available to Support Parents

KIAS - Kirklees Independent Advice and Support Service

(formerly known as  Kirklees Parent Partnership)   

KIAS is a dedicated service for parents, carers and young people, providing free, impartial and confidential Special Educational Needs and Disability information, advice and supoort.  Their role is to ensure that parents  can make informed decisions  about their child's special educational needs.  This is achieved by working in partnership with parents, providing information, services and training, working with relevant  agencies and ensuring parents' views influence policy and local practice.

For more information click here www.kias.org.uk

Email : kias@kirklees.gov.uk       Telephone: 01484 225422


PCAN (Parents of Children with Additional Needs)

PCAN are an independent, parent-led forum in Kirklees for all parents and carers of children and young people with additional needs, aged from birth to 25 years.  They provide lots of good information, links to social media for networking with other parents, and together they provide a strong, collective voice so that they can work in partnership with service providers across Kirklees.

For more information click here www.pcankirklees.org/#


To download an extensive list of organisations providing information and support for parents with children who have disability, medical or SEN Needs, click on the link below.


Free online awareness course for parents and carers of school aged children who have allergies

Register at https://allergywise.org.uk

Hit enter to search